Skip to content
The purposes of the Friends of Karori Cemetery are:
- To support the preservation, protection and enhancement of the heritage, recreational and ecological aspects of the Karori Cemetery.
- To advise and assist the WCC in its efforts to achieve this.
- To promote public interest in the Cemetery.
- To support and undertake research into the history of the Cemetery and those interred in it.
Proposed activities of Friends of Karori Cemetery are:
- The identification, management and interpretation of heritage issues, including (but not limited to) improving access, signage, wayfinding, and interpretation at key locations, contributing to grave/plot restoration, and conducting historical and genealogical research;
- Increasing public awareness and knowledge of the Cemetery including (but not limited to) the development of guided and self-guided tours of the Cemetery, posting on social and other media about heritage and other activities and attributes of the Cemetery, holding events in the Cemetery open to the public, supporting the use of digital technology to enhance access and location finding, and engaging with community groups such as schools and service organisations;
- The documentation and development of the ecological aspects of the Cemetery.